Saturday, July 5, 2008

I am in love….

Its been only 6 months in the city of Chicago and I already feel a part of it…The city breathes…
I came here in the peak of winters when it was snowing heavily…the temperatures reaching to freezing -29 to -30 degree Celsius…the first day I entered here I felt the chill wud make me die…I thot I took a wrong decision of shifting my base from my very own comfort zone…

I remember the tree barks though so thick skinned letting the cold dry them out …every tree looked so dead…not a single leaf…I had almost forgotten the colour- green!! My some of the classes wud get over at 9 pm. The first time I had to take the road back home was itself such a scary experience…..only 3 of us…on the loneliest streets ever in the most heavy snowstorm I had never even imagined of…the usual 7 min walk took us 45 min to reach our so called home…struggling our way against the dreadliest winds…for a moment I had thot tat I wud fly…

The days , though very short, seemed endless…..our only hope was summers…

The only relief we had was the place we were put up…a home away from home……12th floor of a 20 storeyed high rise… the college , studies, assignments , events, exams kept us quite busy and we some how survived the winters sipping our hot coffees watching the city change its colors…

Everything changed for better….sun peeped in pleasantly…and finally our snow jackets were in… slowly the city revealed its true colors …it suddenly seems so lively everywhere…the city has its own beauty …the skyline- includes structures like sears, Hancock, Water tower and many more.. downtown, places like magnificent mile, millennium park, planetorium, museums…navy pier ..the lakeshore, lake each n every place gives you a different feel…is full of life…

I can see the downtown from my apartment…n I see it daily…I see it in the mornings and in the evenings… our coffees taste so good now…with the downtown view on one side and the lake on the other…every time I see it , I want to see it more…the unpredictability of the weather – at times rainy, n again sunny in a flick of time …will swing ur mood wd it as well …...

Omigod…I am absolutely in love with Chicago!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This is the most natural way of describing one s thoughts and feelings about a city...keya...u have penned it down in a really good way...

I think u r really in love !!

Sudhish said...

A good start.Its not ur first one though.The "Lohagad trek" didnt make it to the web.
I remember talking to u abt that 45 min walk :).
Incidently, I read abt "Cloud Gate" in TOI today. Did u know it was sculpted by an Indian, one Mr.Anish kapoor??

keep writing :)

Kavs said...

You are a gifted writer. Very natural, as Aarthi rightly said.
Regarding the post- may the summer never end.
Please write often so that I dont gush over your every post nad make myself look like a sentimental fool. Not that I mind!
:D Keep it up!

Keya said...

Hello everybody..
thanks lot for visting my blog...
Aarthi, u r a part of this process...
Sudhish, yea the lohagad trek and even the Matheran write-up...so finally I started one.. :)
Thanks for reading..and about the cloud gate or bean as we all call it, I knew it was by an Indian..its one of the "tony guide's" tourist spots...:)
Didi,thanks a lot for ur encouragement..i know mebbe this is the first time ever tat i've written smthing wdout showing or discussing wd u beforehand... so was a lot doubtful abt it :p.

--plz keep reading and pouring in ur comments ..

Anonymous said...

Hey dear! I'm really happy to see you write so well. Ooff! Finally i'm saved of all those proof readings;)Liked the blog name very much.May the warmth of our love remind you of these lovely summers all through the year:)

Unknown said...

hey keya...everything u've written is so true...I think nobody will have a better way than this of describing lovely and lively chicago...keep it up dear..

Shreesha said...

Go Chicago! Any season for that matter, I'm for it...lovely place...missing it being here... :(

Keya said...

@Shreesha - I concur !!!