Monday, July 7, 2008

krsna

I happened to visit an Iskon temple here yesterday...

Since it was Sunday, I planned my visit to match the bhajan timings.. This wasn’t my first time to Iskon though…long back , when in India , I had attended few of the discourses. And had participated in the rhythm of “hare krsna..” jaap…
I remember the weird feeling I had back then listening to the name of our own lord krishna in a very western accent.. that too by Indians..!! So much so.. that I had ended up asking a question as to why don’t you call out “Krishna”, “Rama” the way it is instead of “krsna”…n “ramo”….??The answer never convinced me though….

Years later, I was here in the huge santum sanctorum of the iskon temple… never knowing how I got to know about it and how eventually I was standing there…

After 15 min of discourse on 3 verses from Bhagvad Gita…the usual bhajan started…
“hare krsna…hare krsna…”

Gradually the spirits were up, moods were elated, without my noticing my hands started clapping to the tune, and…..everybody present was so engrossed in the melodius chanting of lord’s name…the entire ambience transformed into a blissful procession …everybody present had lost their ”being” into “Him” …happily singing and dancing without being conscious of who they are …may be that’s what they call it “krsna consciousness movement”….I cud see everybody praying to krsna, irrespective of cast , creed, color, religion…everybody..!! I could see the westerners dressed up in Indian attire, all the women draped in sarees , with the circle of vermillion on their foreheads.. Even while getting married out of one’s cast, in spite of true love, people have so much of apprehension…and these women were happily married to krsna’s religion….loving him selflessly …!!

All my questions were answered…krsna, by whatever name you call, will always mean the same… …carry the same sweetness, same depth and same bliss…tears rolled down my cheeks as I smiled back to the lord’s contented face tapping my feet to the tune, letting myself be completely “krsna-may” (being-krsna)

Hare krsna hare krsna, krsna krsna hare hare…
Hare rama , hare rama , rama rama hare hare!!!!

1 comment:

Kavs said...

"krsna, by whatever name you call, will always mean the same… …carry the same sweetness, same depth and same bliss" How true!
We had a similar experience over the weekend, where we all felt like part of one big family. It was an awesome feeling! Divine!